More

    Court Grants Bail To Three Accused In Delhi Violence Cases

    Newsletter

    To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.


    Court Grants Bail To Three Accused In Delhi Violence Cases

    During the trial, the accused claimed they have been falsely implicated. (Representational)

    New Delhi:

    A Delhi court has granted bail to three people in two cases related to the riots in north-east Delhi in February last year, saying identification of the accused by the police witnesses was hardly of any consequence due to the delay.

    Additional Sessions Judge Vinod Yadav granted the relief to Mohd Tahir, Shebu Khan and Hamid on furnishing a bail bond of Rs 20,000 with one surety of like amount each.

    While Tahir was granted bail in the case related to vandalism and torching or a shop allegedly by a riotous mob in Gokalpuri area, Shebu Khan and Hamid were granted the relief in the case of torching of a sugarcane godown during the riots in Dayalpur area.

    “The identification of applicants by police official (who was posted as Beat Officer in the area in question at the relevant time) is hardly of any consequence, as this court is not able to comprehend as to why the Beat Officer waited till the recording of his statement…when he had categorically seen and identified the applicants indulging in riots on the date of incident ie February 24, 2020. This casts a serious doubt on the credibility of said police witness,” the court said in its similar order passed in the two cases.

    It said that the accused persons were neither named in the case nor there were any specific allegations against them. It said Mohd Tahir was also not visible in any CCTV footage.

    Newsbeep

    The court said several co-accused in both the matters were already enlarged on bail whose roles were similar to the three people.

    During the trial, the accused claimed they have been falsely implicated in the matters.

    The police Special Public Prosecutor opposed the bail pleas saying the accused were allegedly involved in rioting in the area.

    Violence had broken out in northeast Delhi on February 24 last year after clashes between citizenship law supporters and protesters spiraled out of control leaving at least 53 people dead and around 200 injured.



    Source link

    Latest articles

    Related articles

    Leave a reply

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here